|Search | Faculty By School | Faculty By Country | Faculty By Position|
Ph. D. Institut National Polytechnique de Toulouse, France
M. Eng. Asian Institute of
B. Engg. (Hons.) Mechanical Engineering, Government College of Technology,
Program Research Fellow, International Center for Theoretical Physics (ICTP), Trieste, Italy under the program for training and research in Italian Laboratories at the Dipartimento di Energetica, Universita degli studi di Ancona, Ancona, Italy.
1990-95 : Reader,
1995-96 : Assistant Professor, Energy Program, Asian Institute of
1996- 2004 : Associate Professor, Energy Program, Asian Institute of
2005 - September 2009: Dean,
2005 - present: Professor, Energy program,
Energy for Sustainable Development
Technology Needs Assessment for Climate Change
1. Ms. Sasima Charoenkit: A study of dew point evaporative cooling system assisted by solar liquid desiccant system
2. Mr. Farooq Khalid Muhammad: Analysis of the effects of quantity based renewable energy promotion policies in a developing country perspective - the case of Pakistan
3. Mr. Narong Poyoo: Cylindrical heat pipe for cooling digital light processing projector
4. Ms. Chanamon Chantana: Studies on steam – air mixture condensation in vertical tubes to enhance heat transfer with/without thermal energy storage
5. Ms. Kate Natee-Noipin: Fatty Acid Ethyl Ester (Ethanol Derived Biodiesel) Production, Characterization and Application
6. Ms. Pichanan Teesetsopon : Studies on Photoelectrode Optimization for Energy Efficiency Enhancement in Nanostructured Zinc Oxide Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells.
7. Mr. Shree Raj Shakya : Analysis of Low Carbon Development, Strategies: Role of Transport sector Electrification and Carbon Tax in Nepal
8. Ms. Jutamanee Martchamadol: Development of an Aggregated Energy Security Performance Indicator (AESPI) and its Application to Thailand.
9. Mr. Boonchai Riangvilaikul: A study of dew point evaporative cooling system assisted by solar liquid desiccant system
10. Mr. Boonrit Prasartkaew: A solar biomass air conditioning system
11. Mr. Adeel Waqas Ahmad :: Utilization of Phase Change Material (PCM) Storage for Heating and Cooling of Buildings for Hot and Cold Climates
12. Mr. Kittipong Jaojaruek: Experimental and Numerical Studies on the Performance of Two-stage Downdraft Wood Gasifier
13. Ms. Supattana Nirakanaporn : Electricity Generation cost under a reform of the electric supply Industry in Thailand.
14. Ms. Lerdlekha Tanachaikhan: Daylighting through Unshaded and Shaded Window.
15. Mr. Thosapon Katejanekarn : A Hybrid Liquid Desiccant Air conditioning System for Buildings in Hot and Humid Climates.
16. Ms. Napaporn Phuangpornpitak: Optimum control of photovoltaic systems for rural electrification. time taken for graduation
17. Mr. Augustus Leon Matthias: Application of transpired solar thermal collectors for drying. (time taken for graduation.
18. Ms. Wipawadee: A study of Chemical heat pump coupled to solar water heating system for heat upgrading.
As Co- Chair
1. Mr. Abdul Salam : A Comparative Study Of Hydrodynamics And Gasification Performance Of Two Types Of Spouted Bed Reactor Designs. (Co-Chair: Prof. S.C. Bhattacharya)
For complete details, visit faculty.ait.ac.th/kumar
1. Architrandi Priambodo and
2. Yossanai Sriuthaisiriwong and S. Kumar,(2001)“ Rural electrification using photovoltaic battery charging stations: A performance study in
3. W. Wongsuwan,
4. D. Barua, T. Urmee,
5. Komkrit Chuawittayawuth and S. Kumar (2002),“Experimental investigation of temperature and flow distribution in a thermosyphon solar water heating system, Renewable Energy – An International Journal, Vol. 26, Issue 3, 431-448, 2002.
6. M. Ibrahim, M. Anisuzzaman, S. Kumar, S.C. Bhattacharya (2002), Demonstration of PV micro-utility system for rural electrification, Solar Energy, Vol. 72, No. 6, June 2002, pp 521-530.
7. S. Kumar, C. Visvanathan, R. Kannan and A.B. Hererra (2002), Networking to promote Energy Efficient and Environmentally Sound Technologies (E3ST) in Small and Medium scale industries (SMI), International Journal of Global Energy Issues, Vol. 17, No. 3, 171-188, 2002.
8. A. Leon, S. Kumar and S.C. Bhattacharya (2002), A comprehensive procedure to evaluate solar drying systems, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 6, No. 4, 367-393, August 2002.
9. M. Thiruchelvam, S.Kumar and C.Visvanathan (2003), “Policy options to promote energy efficient and environmentally sound technologies in small and medium scale industries” Energy Policy, Vol. 31, 977-987, 2003.
10. S.C. Bhattacharya, R.M. Shrestha, C. Visvanathan, S. Kumarand N.T. Kim Oanh, (2003) Cooperative Research programme experience of the Asian regional Research programme in Energy Environment and Climate.
11. S.C. Bhattacharya and S. Kumar (2003), ‘Renewable Energy for Asia: Research and Dissemination of Selected Technologies’, Renewable Energy World, Vol. 6, No 1, p. 90 –95, January-February 2003.
12. S. Kumar, G. Senananayake, C. Visvanathan and B. Basu (2003), Desiccated Coconut industry of
13. Nguyen Le Truong and S. Kumar (2003), Cleaner production in the plastic industry of Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, International Energy Journal, Vol. 4, No. 1, 29 – 40, 2003.
14. S. Kumar, S.C. Bhattacharya and M. Anisuzzaman (2003), Role of regional programme for promotion of photovoltaic based rural electrification in
15. T.Q. Dung, M. Anisuzzaman, S. Kumar and S.C. Bhattacharya (2003), Demonstration of a multi purpose battery charging station for rural electrification, Renewable Energy-An International Journal, vol. 28, 2367-2378, 2003.
16. Sushil Adhikari, S. Kumar and Piniij Siripuekpong (2003), Performance of household grid connected PV system in
17. Kayasith Sadettanh and
18. Do Nam Trung and S. Kumar (2005) , Resource use and waste generation in the
19. B. Janarthanan, J. Chandrasekaran and S. Kumar (2005), Evaporative heat loss and heat transfer for open- and closed-cycle systems of a floating tilted wick solar still , Desalination, Volume 180, Issues 1-3, 15 August 2005, Pages 291-305.
20. Janarthanan, B., J. Chandrasekaran and S. Kumar (2005), Monthly Mean Daily Utilizability of South India, International Energy Journal, Vol. 5 No. 1, pp. 33-40, June 2005.
21. W. Wongsuwan and S. Kumar (2005), Forced Circulation Solar Water Heater Performance Prediction by TRNSYS and ANN (2005), International Journal of Sustainable Energy, Vol.24, No.2, pp.69-86, June 2005.
22. Sat Samy, S. Kumar, M. Anisuzzaman and S.C. Bhattacharya (2005), A solar start PV in Cambodia, Renewable Energy World, Vol.8, No. 2, pp.82-87, March – April 2005.
23. Napaporn, P and S. Kumar (2007), PV hybrid systems for rural electrification in Thailand, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 11, 7, 1530 -1543, September 2007
24. Augustus Leon and S. Kumar (2007), Mathematical modeling and thermal performance analysis of unglazed transpired solar collectors, Solar Energy, Vol. 81, 1, 62-75, January 2007.
25. Thosapon Katejanekarn, and S. Kumar (2008), "Performance of a solar-regenerated liquid desiccant ventilation pre-conditioning system" Energy and Buildings, 40, 7, 1252-1267, 2008.
26. Augustus L. M. and Kumar, S.(2008), Design and performance evaluation of a solar assisted biomass drying system with storage, , Drying Technology, Volume 26, Issue 7, July 2008 , pages 936 – 947.
27. Chavan, B. R, A. Yakupitiyage, S. Kumar (2008), Mathematical Modeling of Drying Characteristics of Indian Mackerel (Rastrilliger kangurta) in Solar-Biomass Hybrid Cabinet Dryer, Drying Technology, Volume 26, Issue 12, December 2008 , pages 1552 – 1562.
28. Chavan, B. R., A. Yakupitiyage, S. Kumar and S. K. Rakshit (2008), Experimental investigation on biochemical, microbial and sensory properties of mackerel (Rastrilliger kangurta) dried by solar-biomass hybrid cabinet dryer, Journal of Food, Agriculture and Environment, Vol. 6, Issue (3 and 4), 167- 172.
29. Permana A.S, R. Perera, S. Kumar (2008), Understanding energy consumption pattern of households in different urban development forms: A comparative study in
30. S. Kumar, G. Anadarajah and C. Visvanathan (2008), Techno-economic Analysis of Energy Efficient and Environmentally Sound Technologies in the Asian Small and Medium Industry Sector, Tech Monitor, Jan-Feb 2008, 17-23.
31. Shrestha R.M, S. Kumar, Samuel Martin and Arjun Dhakal (2008), Modern Energy Use by the urban poor in Thailand: a study of slum households in two cities”, Energy for Sustainable Development, Vol VII, No 4, 5-13, December 2008.
32. Thosapon Katejanekarn, and S. Kumar (2008), An experimental study of a solar-regenerated liquid desiccant ventilation pre-conditioning system, Solar Energy, accepted for publication, December 2008.
33. Lerdlekha Tanachaikhan and S. Kumar, Daylighting for energy conservation in the tropics: a study on the influences of window configurations and shading devices, Int. J. Engineering Systems Modelling and Simulation, volume 2/3, pp. 144–159, 2009.
34. K. Jaojaruk and S. Kumar, “Numerical simulation of the pyrolysis zone in a downdraft gasification process ” Bioresource Technology, pp. 1-7, 2009.
35. B. Riangvilaikul and S. Kumar, An experimental study of a novel dew point evaporative cooling system, Energy and Buildings, 42 (2010) 637–644
36. Boonrit Prasartkaew and S. Kumar, A Low Carbon Cooling System Using Renewable Energy Resources and Technologies, Energy and Buildings, 42, 9, September 2010, Pages 1453-146
37. B. Riangvilaikul and S. Kumar, Numerical study of a novel dew point evaporative cooling system, Energy and Buildings, accepted for publication, 2010 (15 July)
38. Supattana N and
39. Adeel Waqar and S. Kumar, “Utilization of Latent Heat Storage Unit for Comfort Ventilation of Building in Hot and Dry Climates” International Journal of Green Energy, 2010 (accepted for publication).
1. S. Kumar et al, PV System Components: PV System Components: Technology Fact Sheets, Renewable Energy Technologies in
3. S. Kumar et al, Renewable Energy technology promotion: case studies from six countries, Renewable Energy Technologies in
4. S. Kumar and S.C. Bhattacharya (Editors), Technology Package: Solar, Biomass and Hybrid dryers, Renewable Energy Technologies in
5. S. Kumar (Editor), Technology Package: Low cost PV system components, Renewable Energy Technologies in
6. S.C. Bhattacharya and S. Kumar (Editors)l, Technology Package: Screw press briquetting machines and briquette fired stoves, Renewable Energy Technologies in
7. R.M. Shrestha, Sudhir Sharma, Govinda R Timilsina and S. Kumar, Baseline Methodologies for Clean Development Projects, UNEP, November 2005 (200 pages).
8. Shrestha, R.M., S. Kumar and S. Martin (Editors), Proceedings of the Asian Regional Workshop on Electricity and Development, 28-29 April 2005, AIT,
9. Shrestha, R.M., S. Kumar and M. Anisuzzman (Editors), Proceedings of the Second Extended Regional Workshop on
• Member, International Solar Energy Society (ISES),
• Senior Member, Association of Energy Engineers (AEE),
• Member, Institution of Engineers (
• Secretary/Treasurer, International Association of Solar Energy Education (IASEE) (1996-1999).
• Program Research Fellow, International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) Program for Training and Research in Italian Laboratories (1994-95),